729) It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
Robert H. Goddard (attributed) posted by Jason Cloutier [IQM] (4/21/95)
730) The degradation of the position of scientist from that of independent worker and thinker to conscienceless stooge in a science factory has been far more rapid and thorough than I had believed possible.
Norbert Wiener (attributed, possibly paraphrased) posted by Victor Yodaiken [AFU] (4/19/95)
731) The independent scientist who is worth the slightest consideration as a scientist has a consecration which come entirely from within himself: a vocation which demands the possibility of supreme self-sacrifice.
Norbert Wiener The Human Use of Human Beings (1950) [B16]
732) The future offers very little hope for those who expect that our mechanical slaves will offer us a world in which we may rest from thinking. Help us they may, but at the cost of supreme demands upon our honesty and our intelligence. The world of the future will be an ever more demanding struggle against the limitations of our intelligence, not a comfortable hammock in which we can lie down to be waited upon by our robot slaves.
Norbert Wiener God and Golem, Inc. (1964) [B16]
733) Among all the world's races, some obscure Bedouin tribes possibly apart, Americans are the most prone to misinformation. This is not a consequence of any special preference for mendacity, although at the higher levels of their public administration that tendency is impressive. It is rather that so much of what they themselves believe is wrong.
John Kenneth Galbraith "The United States" in New York (11/15/71) reprinted in A View from the Stands (1986) [CQ]
734) I'll not listen to reason [...] Reason always means what someone else has to say.
Elizabeth Gaskell Cranford (1851-1853) [B16] posted by Jason Cloutier [IQM] (4/21/95)
735) I don't want to talk. When we talk it means you talk and I listen.
Ain Gordon & David Gordon The Family Business (play, 1993) spoken by the character "Annie"
736) Be wiser than the other people, if you can, but do not tell them so.
Lord Chesterfield (attributed) posted by Jason Cloutier [IQM] (4/21/95)
[Note: Also "Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least." (1/29/1748) Letters To His Son (1774)]
737) A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
Knut Rockne quoted in Reader's Digest (10/1927) [YQ] posted (with misattribution) by Howard J. Lambert [IQM] (4/21/95)
738) The boy has a fine mind, but it’s overtaxed. That’s the trouble, it’s too good a mind. A weak mind isn’t strong enough to hurt itself. Stupidity has saved many a man from going mad.
Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger A Matter of Life and Death (film, 1946) (aka Stairway to Heaven), spoken by character "Dr. Frank Reeves", played by Roger Livesey
739) Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley Proper Studies (1927) [WQ] posted by Howard J. Lambert [IQM] (4/21/95)
741) Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist.
Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance" in Essays: First Series (1841) posted by Todd McMasters [IQM] (4/21/95)
742) In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.
Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel (attributed) posted by Todd McMasters [IQM] (4/21/95)
[Note: "Innovation! One cannot be forever innovating. I want to create classics." quoted by Marcel Haedrich in Coco Chanel: Her Life, Her Secrets (1971) [CQ]]
743) Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting somebody else to do the work.
John G. Pollard (attributed) posted by Jason Cloutier [IQM] (4/21/95)
744) I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
Bill Cosby (attributed) posted by Jason Cloutier [IQM] (4/21/95)
[B16] - Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 16th edition (1993) [CQ] - The Columbia Dictionary of Quotations (1993) [IQM] - Internet Quotations mailing list [AFU] - Usenet alt.folklore.urban newsgroup [WQ] - Wikiquote [YQ] - The Yale Book of Quotations (2006)
Note: "3089/898" is the designation I've given to the project of posting all my collected quotes, excerpts and ideas (3089 of them) in the remaining days of the Bush administration (of which there were 898 left when I began). As of today, there are 676 days remaining in the administration of the worst American President ever.
hostile to science
lacking in empathy
lacking in public spirit
out of control
Thanks to: Breeze, Chuck, Ivan Raikov, Kaiju, Kathy, Roger, Shirley, S.M. Dixon
i've got a little list...
Steven Abrams (Kansas BofE)
Howard Fieldstead Ahmanson
Roger Ailes (FNC)
Alan Bonsell (Dover BofE)
Bill Buckingham (Dover BofE)
George W. Bush
Bruce Chapman (DI)
The Coors Family
William A. Dembski
Leonard Downie (WaPo)
John Gibson (FNC)
Fred Hiatt (WaPo)
James F. Inhofe
Philip E. Johnson
by Joel Pelletier
(click on image for more info)
Stephen C. Meyer (DI)
Judith Miller (ex-NYT)
Sun Myung Moon
Elspeth Reeve (TNR)
Martin Peretz (TNR)
Richard Mellon Scaife
Susan Schmidt (WaPo)
John Solomon (WaPo)
Richard Thompson (TMLC)
Bob Woodward (WaPo)
All the fine sites I've
Be sure to visit them all!!
Arthur C. Clarke
Daniel C. Dennett
Philip K. Dick
Stephen Jay Gould
"The Harder They Come"
Ursula K. LeGuin
The Marx Brothers
Michael C. Penta
Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger
"The Red Shoes"
"Singin' in the Rain"
Talking Heads/David Byrne
Hunter S. Thompson
"2001: A Space Odyssey"
If you read unfutz at least once a week, without fail, your teeth will be whiter and your love life more satisfying.
If you read it daily, I will come to your house, kiss you on the forehead, bathe your feet, and cook pancakes for you, with yummy syrup and everything.
(You might want to keep a watch on me, though, just to avoid the syrup ending up on your feet and the pancakes on your forehead.)
Finally, on a more mundane level, since I don't believe that anyone actually reads this stuff, I make this offer: I'll give five bucks to the first person who contacts me and asks for it -- and, believe me, right now five bucks might as well be five hundred, so this is no trivial offer.